[EM] why can't we have the Ranked Ballot (even IRV) for primaries?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 26 20:03:14 PDT 2010

This started with a description of a primary problem - 5 strong Dem
candidates for gov. in VT.  Primaries are a party task, but this one
sounds as if it may include clones, or at least near-clones. Just as
primaries were invented to do such as attend to clones within a party,
perhaps something new could be invented to help this primary.

So Ranked Choice makes sense here and I would argue, as usual, that it
should be Condorcet rather than IRV.

For another day I would promote Condorcet for the general election,
noting that that reduces the value of even having primaries.

What I read below is at times into trying to do good outside of party
primaries needs.

Dave Ketchum