[EM] why can't we have the Ranked Ballot (even IRV) for primaries?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Aug 25 15:19:37 PDT 2010

This shows that, for a few elections, we need extra capability.

Many of these voters should be ready to learn ranked choice voting in
order to vote for more than one and show preference they see as to
Good over Soso.

We are hopefully agreeing that we need better counting than IRV
provides.

Which leads us to Condorcet, which cares not the election's purpose -
primary here.

For just one oddity election such as this ballots could be laid out
manually.  Counting could also be manual, counting how many of each
pattern voted.

I would still do an N*N matrix but, assuming 22 voted A>B that would
mean adding 22 to each of the proper entries for A & B, rather than
adding ones for each such ballot.

"Median" does not excite me here - this gives all the voters a chance
to be heard as they express themselves in detail, so why do we not
declare the results to be our found median?

When we are plotting how to do general elections the major parties
plot for advantages - here there could be more readiness to try for
best.

Dave Ketchum
.