[EM] (no subject)

Alex Small alex_small2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 12:58:00 PDT 2010

To everyone, I get these messages in digest form, so sometimes I miss
things.  If you have comments on my manuscript, go to my blog:

http://votingmath.blogspot.com/2010/08/open-thread-for-comments-on-manuscript.html

Warren,

Thanks for the comments and the corrections.  I have changed the paper to spell all names properly and give credit to Kevin Venzke.  I now include a link to the Electowiki entry on MDDA as well as the longer article by you and Mike Ossipoff at RangeVoting.org.  A table of contents is also a great suggestion, and I've added it.

I don't have time to address everything now, but on the general issue of style, well, I plead guilty to many errors and thank you for the feedback.  I'm a theoretical physicist, not a mathematician, and this is the first time I've tried to write something that involves a proof rather than a derivation or calculation.  I'll work on it over time, but I can't promise immediate changes in the next draft.  Not being a mathematician, I tried to emulate a lot of Saari's style from his book "Basic Geometry of Voting" since he is a pro and I use some geometrical ideas from his book.  But clearly I have a long way to go.

The idea of the linearity condition is simply that the statements being checked are all linear inequalities.  In the very simplest case of plurality voting, candidate A would win if:
f(votes for A) - f(votes for B) > 0
AND
f(votes for A) - f(votes for C) > 0
AND
etc. for all other candidates

where f(votes for A) is the fraction of voters casting ballots for A.  If we were doing a more complicated method, we'd specify more elaborate inequalities, regarding (perhaps) the fraction of voters giving A a certain number of points, or the fraction ranking A above B, or whatever.

The key point is that those inequalities are all linear in the fraction casting each ballot type.  However, somebody could always come along and say "Hey, I want a rule where we check whether (f(votes for A))^2 - f(votes for B) > 0!"  Why would somebody write down that rule?  I dunno.  Seems illogical.  But they could.  I wanted to exclude it from analysis, since every method that I'm aware of involves conditions that are linear in ballot types.

A table summarizing methods is an excellent idea.  A table explaining Type 1, Type 1b, Type 2, and Type 3 might still not make a lot of sense to a newbie, since these definitions all depend on properties of normal vectors, i.e. it is not immediately obvious what they have to do with practical statements about election methods like "Whoever has the most points wins" or "Whoever beats all others pairwise wins" or "If there's no majority first choice then you eliminate the candidate with the fewest first-choice votes and transfer his ballots..." etc.

However, I might still put in a table to at least summarize these things for the technical reader trying to keep track, and a separate table with examples of SFBC-compliant methods in each category so that the non-technical reader gets a flavor for it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

As for "*" vs. "x" for multiplication, all I can say is that when I was writing my thesis I frequently used "x" and my advisor (a physicist) chided me gently for my "unorthodox" choice of multiplication symbol.  Remember that "x" means "cross product" to many scientists and engineers.  I have replaced * with \cdot, since it means "scalar multiplied by" to many people.  Now somebody will no doubt accuse me of mixing in a dot product, and I'll change it to \times, and then somebody will complain that I'm doing topological products :)

More later.

Alex