[EM] More BTR-IRV

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Aug 15 16:32:14 PDT 2010

Seems "Condorcet compliant" is not a warranty of value all by itself.

Looking at an easily findable example I see:
      19 voters
      6 rank A top - more than any other.
      A wins, per BTR-IRV - seems reasonable
      Add in 6 more voters ranking A top - total of 12 now
      C wins, per BTR-IRV.  HUH!!!  Look close and C is truly CW

Game is to discard candidates with the least votes on the ballots,
comparing a pair at a time.  This will end at the CW if there is one.
Order is based on how many top ranked each, which can be a different
order - and the difference affecting who is last when there is no CW.

If we went for such as this we could expect the same kind of
complaints as we write about IRV.

As to what I suggest, based on the N*N matrix, and, for shortening
discussion, assuming no equal comparisons:
      For N-1 races, discard loser in each pair.  We thus find at
least a cycle member.
      For N-1 races, see if this cycle member is loser to another.  If
so we have two members of a cycle and can proceed to complete it; if
not we have the CW.

Dave Ketchum

Re: [EM] it's been pretty quiet around here...