[EM] it's been pretty quiet around here...

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 14 12:21:42 PDT 2010

Hallo,

I believe that the main reason, why Condorcet methods
never played a role in political reality, is that the
Condorcet supporters could never agree on a concrete
method. In consequence, the Condorcet opponents simply
replied: "The Condorcet method has a problem. There may
not be a Condorcet winner." See e.g.:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmproced/40/40ap04.htm
http://www.lwvmn.org/LWVMNAlternativeVotingStudyReport.pdf
http://www.lwvor.org/documents/ElectionMethods2008.pdf

Therefore, in my opinion, you should always promote
a concrete Condorcet method. And you should treat the
Condorcet criterion as one criterion among many criteria.

Markus Schulze