[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Apr 28 16:45:11 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> 2010/4/28 Peter Zbornik <pzbornik at gmail.com>
> OK, thanks.
> Please go on to propose the condorcet, if you think it is the best.
>
> Approval voting was used in the French presidential election, first
> round, where far-right nationalist Le Pen got to the second round.
> Le Pen was hardly a centrist.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting#Effect_on_elections
> Quote:"one study [16] showed that approval voting would not have
> chosen the same two winners as plurality voting (Chirac and Le Pen)
> in France's presidential election of 2002 (first round) - it instead
> would have chosen Chirac and Jospin. To some, this seemed a more
> reasonable result[citation needed] since Le Pen was a radical who
> lost to Chirac by an enormous margin in the second round."
>
> Peter
>
> I think you're misreading Wikipedia there. Approval was not used;
> the passage simply says that some suggest that if it HAD been used,
> the results would have been better.
>
> JQ

Read the quote carefully.  A bunch of centrist candidates split up the
centrist Plurality vote, allowing for the two non-centrist winners to
inspire all kinds of threats from unhappy centrist voters.  While
Approval would have helped some centrists do better, Condorcet
promises to hear the voters better.