[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Apr 28 10:58:31 PDT 2010

At 11:37 AM 4/28/2010, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>2010/4/28 Raph Frank <<mailto:raphfrk at gmail.com>raphfrk at gmail.com>
>On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Juho
><<mailto:juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Do you mean that voters would concentrate on the first rankings and
> > strongest candidates? The used method should be such that this kind of
> > behaviour will not be rational.
>
>Yes.  If the order of election matters, then your first rank is
>effectively for the president's position .. and it is a plurality
>election.
>

>Minor note: I proposed using order-of-election for vice president,
>not for president.
>
>How about this: Elect the council with STV. Elect the president from
>the council with Condorcet. Elect a two-member subset of that
>council with PR-STV. Any members of that two-member council who
>aren't the president are vice presidents.

Actually, a council can use standard deliberative process, which is
far simpler, to elect officers by majority. So the task becomes one
of making sure that the council is truly representative.

It's up to the council to decide which is more important: that the
officers represent the mainstream thinking within the organization,
or that they reflect the diversity of the organization with some kind
of power-sharing. They can also use any kind of polling method they
like, they can look at election results from their own election, and
analyze them in whatever way they want. If a range-type ballot is
used, they can look at factional strength, they can look at how
important preferences are, they can do condorcet analysis, all the rest.

Deliberative process is far more flexible and powerful than any
single-ballot voting system, and that's why complex voting systems
are *never* used for elections within deliberative bodies. Voting Yes
or No on motions, repeated, can handle vast amounts of information,
and can use polling, when appropriate, to develop the options more
efficiently, without getting stuck in some unanticipated quirk of a
voting system.