[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 17:18:41 PDT 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 3:01 AM, Jonathan Lundell wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Juho wrote:
>
>> Draft of a method:
>>
>> - collect ranked votes
>> - use Condorcet to determine P (Condorcet tends to elect a
>> compromise candidate that all voters find reasonably good)
>> - use STV (using the same ballots) to elect the group of P and VPs
>> (some special rules are needed to guarantee that the already named
>> P will not be eliminated in the process but will be elected)
>> - use STV (using the same ballots) to elect members of the board
>> (some special rules are needed to guarantee that the already named
>> P and VPs will not be eliminated in the process but will be elected)
>>
>> One could elect P and VPs also later. In that case one could elect
>> them from the members of the (already existing) board. Otherwise
>> the process would be similar.
>
> This is a better approach, I think. Protecting already-elected
> members and preserving proportionality is a subtle problem, and I
> don't think there's a completely satisfactory solution available.
> It's defensible for filling vacancies (below), but when it can be
> avoided, it should be. (Unless someone has a great idea for this
> kind of countback.)
>
> A burial strategy for P would have unfortunate effects for the STV
> election, is a possible problem.

The STV election that follows may also reduce the incentives to try
the burial strategy. That is because (in addition to burial not being
a very efficient strategy in the first place) the benefit would be
only to get a better P but not more voting power in the board, and
because the modified vote could well contribute to the benefit of the
competing sections in the proportional election.

Juho