[EM] Participation

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Apr 24 20:10:19 PDT 2010

At 02:28 PM 4/24/2010, Markus Schulze wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>Bucklin violates mono-add-top. See:
>
>http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-April/012752.html

The criteria failures of Bucklin don't apply to all Bucklin methods.

Woodall's definition of mono-add-top:

Monotonicity. A candidate x should not be harmed if:
    * (mono-add-top) further ballots are added that have x top (and
are otherwise arbitrary);
The example given showing mono-add-top failure for Bucklin used deep
(full) ranking for six candidates, with no equal ranking allowed.
Bucklin in original usage was a three-rank system, with equal ranking
allowed in third rank. (Duluth Bucklin.) It's an Approval voting
system, except that it phases in approvals according to ranks, and it
is clearly improved by allowing equal ranking in all ranks, I
wouldn't even consider tossing overvoted ballots (i.e, that rank more
than one candidate in first or second rank.)

I'd like to look at this example, because it shows how preposterous
assumptions about voting systems can lead to noise about how they perform.

12: A>B>C>D>E>F
11: C>A>B>D>E>F
10: B>C>A>D>E>F
27: D>E>F

This doesn't resemble real elections with Bucklin at all, but let's
set that aside. This is what is common with the use of voting systems
criteria to study methods. Scenarios are created, sometimes cleverly,
to cause a failure of a criterion. Does it matter if those conditions
never exist? It should. The only way to really study this is through
simulations that could give some measure of how often a criterion
failure might happen. And without utility information that would
explain the preference profiles given, we have no idea of the damage
done by criterion failure. It is entirely possible that, from a
utility point of view, the election was improved by criterion failure!
I'll arrange this as Bucklin was usually reported:

60 Ballots, majority is 31.