[EM] Paper by Ron Rivest

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Apr 20 10:25:00 PDT 2010

> fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> > The Rivest lottery is non-monotone, but here is a monotone,
> clone
> > independent lottery that always selects from the uncovered set:
> >
> > 1. Let C1 be a candidate chosen by random ballot. If C1 is
> uncovered,
> > then C1 wins.
> >
> > 2. Else use random ballot to find a candidte C2 that covers
> C1. If C2
> > is uncovered, then C2 wins.
> >
> > 3. Else use random ballot to find a candidte C3 that covers
> C2. If C3
> > is uncovered, then C3 wins.
> >
> > 4. Else use random ballot to find a candidte C4 that covers
> C3. If C4
> > is uncovered, then C4 wins.
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > Note that the clone independence has the nice character of the
> > "Condorcet Lottery" and the Rivest method: the conditional
> probability
> > that a member C of the clone set S is chosen given that the
> winner is in
> > the clone set is equal to the probability that C would be
> chosen from S
> > if the method were applied solely to S.
>
> I suppose this method can be used to "enhance" any base method
> so it
> elects from the uncovered set. Just let C1 be the winner of the
> base method.

This enhancement will preserve individually each of the following possible
compliances of the base method:  clone independence, monotonicity, Independence
from Pareto Dominated Alternatives, and Independence from non-Smith alternatives.

So Random Ballot Smith would be a great base method for somebody that likes all
of these compliances

DMC would be a great base method for the same reason..