[EM] How close can we get to the IIAC (=> "in the absence of cyclic preferences")

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Apr 19 00:46:07 PDT 2010

Juho wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:23 AM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
>
>> Since the IIAC is out of the question, how close can we get to the IIAC?
>> Independence from Pareto Dominated Alternatives (IPDA) is one tiny
>> step in that
>> direction.  Another step might be independence from alternatives that
>> are not in
>> the Smith set.
>
> There is one well known and useful borderline, "in the absence of cyclic
> preferences". This condition is not really an answer to the question
> "how close can we get" but it is often a natural rough estimate, and
> applies to many common criteria. One could answer to a question "does
> method m meet criterion c" either YES, NO or IAC. For many Condorcet
> methods and criteria answer IAC would much more informative than plain NO.

In absence of cyclic preferences, any and all Condorcet methods pass
IIAC. Say X is the CW. Then eliminating a candidate other than X won't
turn X from CW to not-CW.

The same is true of, for instance, LNHarm. If X is the CW, then if a
subset of the voters add Y to the end of their ballots, that won't make
X a non-CW. However, it's also possible to show that no matter how the
Condorcet method behaves in the case of a cycle, one can construct an
example where the method fails LNHarm.