[EM] Why do voters vote?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Apr 17 16:09:18 PDT 2010

This is getting too deep in some ways.  I buy Terry's collective and
think of the rope in a tug of war.  We had an election in my village
last month.

We do Plurality and have local parties (involving national parties
would distract from considering local issues - also, few consider
themselves members of these local parties) and 800 voters:
      I, the ins, would like to continue.
      C would like to "throw all the bums out".  There has been much
controversy this past year.
      4 trustee positions:  C won each by a dozen votes.  Agreement
that I had failed to do well.
      Mayor (I)  reelected by a dozen votes.  Agreement, though weak,
that he was not to blame for what had happened.

Certainly no single voter decided the election, but they did know that
a very few, together, staying home or getting out and voting, could
have affected which way the rope went.

I do not see social above - people are affected by, and care about,
how well the village board attends to their needs.

When I read of "rational irrationality" below, I wonder if the real
topic may be deciding how to measure and add up conflicting needs and
desires.

Dave Ketchum.