[EM] Why do voters vote?

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Thu Apr 15 06:46:51 PDT 2010

Michael, Frank, Fred, et. al.

I have changed the subject line for this epicyclical discussion on why
voters vote.

There has been some interesting writing about disputes over the value of
"rational choice" theory, especially as applied to voting. Since a single
voter's vote has almost no chance of having any impact, it is rational to
avoid the burden of learning about candidates, and of course rational to
not vote if it takes any effort at all.  However, most voters who do vote
do undertake at least a little effort to learn about some candidates, and
bother to vote. Either they are deluded and irrational (which is certainly
a reasonable conclusion), or they participate for other reasons.

Perhaps most voters are fundamentally not behaving AS INDIVIDUALS, but as
a part of a collective ...in solidarity with a team of fellow citizens (or
party members, members of an ethnic group, or whatever). Analysis that
focuses on the choices of individuals can miss the social aspect of
voting, which may be more fundamental.

Some voters may, however, participate as individuals simply because it
gives them a feeling of satisfaction. In Bryan Caplan's book, _The Myth of
the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies_, he presents a
theory of "rational irrationality." He argues that voters rationally
choose to vote irrationally (in terms of policy), because the
psychological satisfaction of voting in line with one's (erroneous)
beliefs outweighs the risk of negative outcomes from that action (since
each vote has virtually zero impact on the outcome.)

This is a fascinating topic, that makes the debates about methods, or
ordinal vs. cardinal voting seem a bit lacking.

Terry Bouricius