[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 70, Issue 20

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Apr 14 09:04:29 PDT 2010

> Hello,
>
> Warren Smith wrote:
>> For example, consider a 2-way election Gandhi vs Hitler in which
>> everybody votes
>> for the (unanimously agreed to be) worst choice: Hitler.
>>
>> Well, that is a "Nash equilibrium" because no single voter can change
>> the election result!
>>
>> Indeed, essentially every possible vote pattern in every possible
>> large election, is a Nash equilibrium.

Disagreed.

True that Nash applies to the last voter if not at a tie.  However, if
at a tie, this voter has full control of the result.  As we step
backward thru election activity we decrease the probability of Nash
applying as a reason for voting for Hitler - in fact it becomes more
reason for voting for Gandhi.

Dave Ketchum