[EM] Condorcet How?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 02:04:32 PDT 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 3:57 AM, I wrote:

>>> remain of this, other
>>> enough to have
>>> election away.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure that B should win with this set of
>>> votes. Note e.g. that the sincere opinion of the five "B"
>>> voters could be "B>C", and then this example says that
>>> with WV it is ok if those five voters truncate strategically
>>> and B wins instead of C.
>>
>> Yes, it is okay, because B voters should hardly be able to expect
>> that
>> they will get full support from C.
>
> In this scenario I'd use another explanation. B and C are from left
> wing parties that always support each others and rank the right wing
> candidates (A) last. This time the election will be arranged using
> WV. B supporters note that they can win by not supporting C any
> more. C supporters do not have the same incentive since they are
> about to win. Truncation is also useless as a counter strategy. In a
> large public election it is probable that also others than B
> supporters will know about this strategic opportunity and plan.
> Candidate B could recommend sincere voting to his/her supporters, or
> maybe not. But many B supporters might vote strategically anyway. C
> supporters could truncate but that would be just a revenge that
> could elect A instead of B. The dilemma is thus that B and C could
> agree before the election that they will recommend sincere voting
> and the candidate with more support would win (if left has more
> votes than right), but they can not control the most eager B
> supporters, and also B might be happy if some of the supporters will
> truncate. The situation is unstable. If B wins the election with the
> help of the truncating voters, what can we do before the next
> election? Maybe change the method. Maybe try to convince all voters
> that sincere voting is the best approach for all.

Here's one addition to the story. WV has been defended by saying that
it is a benefit of WV that defensive truncation is possible. In this
example the C supporters could spread word that they plan to truncate
in any case (and vote 27: C). This approach would make the strategy of
B voters useless in the sense that the risk that truncation of the B
voters (5: B instead of sincere 5: B>C) would elect A increases. This
approach has however some problems like requiring C voters to be
strategic (and also in a way vote against their closest ally). The end
result is also very unstable if B and C are about equally strong since
then both could claim to be the leading candidate within the left wing
and both recommend truncation (=> A may win). Some supporters of both
of them may truncate for any of the reasons (attack, defence, revenge).

Juho