[EM] MMPO revisited

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Apr 10 15:09:08 PDT 2010

Kristopher,

Thanks for your interest.  Yes, MMTD also elects C in your scenario.  But that is no problem in the
context that I have in mind for MMTD, namely allowing all nominated lotteries into the competition.  In
this case an obvious lottery to include is (A+B)/2 .  With this addition the preferences become

 100000: A > (A+B)/2
 1: A = C > B>(A+B)/2
 1: B = C > A>(A+B)/2
 100000: B>(A+B)/2

with (A+B)/2 getting a 50% rating by all voters.

Then the max disappointment of this lottery being elected instead of A, B, or C is  50000.5 which is the
smallest of the max disappointments.  So (A+B)/2 is elected by MMTD.

As a matter of course, the benchmark lottery (random ballot) should be included, but in this case that
lottery is practically identical with (A+B)/2 .

Here's another example:

x: A
y: B

We throw in the lotteries  p*A+q*B for  0<p=1-q<1, in other words all of the lotteries on the line segment
AB.

It turns out that the MMTD winner is the benchmark lottery  (x*A + y*B)/(x+y)., and the MinMax
disappointment exactly q*x=p*y = x*y/(x+y).

Another way to think of this example is an election concerning where to locate some facility to be
shared by two communities A and B of populations x and y, resp.

The majority solution would be to locate it at the center of the larger community.

The MMTD solution would be to locate it between the two communities at the point

                            (x*A + y*B)/(x+y),

which minimizes the max disappointment compared with any other possible point,  assuming that
disappointment is proportional to geometrical distance.

Forest