[EM] Condorcet How?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Apr 9 15:55:18 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Juho wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>> Hi Juho,

>>> scenario:

>>> disincentive for a candidate
>>>
>>> The story behind these votes seems to be that C is
>>> ideologically close to B and its nomination makes A win
>>> instead of B. If C is ideologically close to B why don't the
>>> "B" voters vote "B>C" (and make C win)?
>>
>> Because the story is that C is not considered an established
>> candidate
>> (or a frontrunner), and the B voters (if they actually prefer C,
>> which
>> is not something I mean to suggest) will not condescend to rank C.
>> Depending on the method, they could hand the election to C by
>> ranking C,
>> and/or alternatively compel C supporters to not vote sincerely.
>
> Ok, but the story is not quite flawless yet.
>
> Case 1: "B" voters did not notice C. B had 51 supporters before the
> nomination of C. All that heard of C changed their opinion to "C>B".
> If C is so obviously better than B then also some of the "A" voters
> should have voted "A>C" (or "A>C" if they feel the other way around
> for some reason). But it seems that also they did not notice C. It
> is also strange that someone can get 27% support (clearly more
> support than B) and still be unknown to so many of the voters.
>
> Case 2: "B" voters did notice C and liked C but didn't want to vote
> for C. In this case the votes are not sincere but twisted for some
> psychological reasons. (Also some part of "A" voters should have
> ranked B or C if they noticed C.)
>
> It seems that the role of non-informed voters and/or non-sincere/
> mutinous voters and the surprising emergence of candidate C have a
> strong role in the story, and all the blame (of not following the
> story (and intended outcome) that was discussed above) can not be
> put on margins alone.

I see "C>B" as showing these two being somewhat together.  Thus it
makes sense for A to be competitive.  It is suspect that we get no B>C
with this.

>> The best scenario is for C to be able to run, be voted for
>> sincerely, and
>> either win, or not affect the outcome at all.
>
> Yes, that would be ideal.

If it is possible for C to win then C being somewhat weaker in its
effect seems certainly possible..

>>> If C is
>>> ideologically far from B then most "B" voters may vote as
>>> they do now, but then maybe "A" voters should vote "A>B"
>>> (and make B win) (since C seems to be closer to B than A).
>>> It is hard to find an explanation to sincere votes like
>>> this. Or are these maybe strategic votes, e.g. so that
>>> sincere "A>B" voters have decided to vote "A"?
>>
>> The A voters will not vote A>B because A and B are considered the
>> frontrunners. (i.e. that is the scenario that concerns me.)
>
> Yes but also this means that "A" voters are badly misinformed when
> none of them have heard of C or believe that C is weak although C
> has 27% first place support (clearly more than B) and all that heard
> of C "on the B side" voted for C.

I stay with my reading that B+C are somewhat together as opposites of
A.  Also fits with C voters adding B as second choice to help defend
against A.

Dave Ketchum