[EM] Why is Germany's electoral system non-monotonic?

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 08:01:32 PDT 2010

I met someone from Germany today that mentioned that Germany's
electoral method (to elect its national legislature) is nonmonotonic
because of some interplay between two electoral methods it uses.  (at
least that's what I understood, this conversation was in a noisy
bar/restaurant).

Can anyone explain that to me?  Apparently the courts or people in
Germany have decided to remedy (eliminate) the nonmonotonicity before
the next major election.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051