[EM] Holding byelections with PR-STV

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 03:45:27 PDT 2009

> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:01 AM, James Gilmour
> > The first statement seems logical, but I don't know about the second
> > statement.  I don't understand how an elected candidate could be
> > eliminated  -  sounds like a contradiction of terms.

> Raph Frank > Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:58 AM
> Well, if you just re-run the count and exclude the withdrawn
> candidate, there is no guarantee that a candidate would be re-elected.

Yes, that makes sense, but that's not what you originally wrote.  It is now clear that you meant a "candidate elected in a previous
count".

And Jonathan has helpfully explained that special tweaks are needed in the Meek counting algorithm (and program) to prevent the
elimination of a previously elected candidate when a count-back is run.

> In Meek, elected means that you have at least a Droop quota
> (and can have any "keep value" between zero and one) .

This is confusingly expressed.  It is impossible to be elected with a keep value of zero.

James