[EM] Holding byelections with PR-STV

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Thu Sep 10 08:30:30 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Raph Frank wrote:

> Also, there is a philosophical argument.  The effect of the count
> back procedure is that people who have died/left the constituency
> since the last election get their vote counted, while new adults/
> people who have move into the constituency don't get their counted.

I don't think that this is a terribly strong argument. The
constituency that would elect the new member is the same constituency
that elected the outgoing member, and more broadly the constituency
that elected the entire group. We don't ordinarily call for new
elections when voters move in and out of a district.

That's not to say that countback doesn't have its problems. But this
doesn't strike me as a particularly serious one.