[EM] Fwd: [uscv-voting_activists] Coinkie-dink? Aspen mayor-1273, Seat 1-1273 & Seat 2- 1273 ???

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon May 11 16:21:08 PDT 2009

Kathy,

As I understand it (and I am not directly involved, so may have this
imperfectly)
1. In Aspen there were zero invalid ballots...The "spoiled" ballot
estimation was made by an election official referring to several voters
who made mistakes, but then automatically had their ballots bounced back
by the voting machine for correction. In the end, I believe there were no
invalid IRV ballots.
2. I believe the city is going to, or has, posted all of the ballot
rankings on the Internet (as do San Francisco and Burlington) so that now
that the random sample audit has confirmed that the scanners recorded the
ballots correctly, anybody who wishes (including you) can double check the
IRV tally on any spreadsheet program.
3. The city did use a non-conventional majoritarian vote-tally rule for
the two seat council election (first and second choices counted
simultaneously), but the mayoral election was standard.

Terry Bouricius