[EM] British Colombia considering change to STV

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sun May 3 10:20:51 PDT 2009

2009/5/3 James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>:
> So the questions that must be answered first are not about the "degree of proportionality" or "the complexity of the ballot", or
> even "the size of the districts", but about what the voting system is intended to achieve in terms of "representation".  Some will
> be happy to go the party list route, but many others are not.

There are some voters who vote based on party loyalty and some who
vote based on their favourite candidate (and many voters fall
somewhere in the middle).  A method like PR-STV allows both groups to
vote the way the want.  Formal party based systems only cater for one
of the groups.

> Lumping all the multi-member voting system together as though there
> were all just different flavours of ice-cream is a flawed approach and it is unhelpful in the debate about how best to go forward in
> different political cultures.

I don't think they are all the same.  I have repeatability said that I
don't like party centric methods.

However, PR-STV seems like a reasonably compromise as it lets each
voter decide for themselves.