[EM] British Colombia considering change to STV

Anthony O'Neal watermark0n at gmail.com
Sat May 2 16:13:17 PDT 2009

It is a rather huge problem.  It effects the proportionately
surprisingly little though - all the major parties still win a roughly
fair number of seats.  Districting tends to produce much more
proportional results than the seat size would suggest, as random
political differences in geography give some smaller parties too much
support in some areas to make up for their unfair lack of support in
other other areas.  This is clear just looking at single-member
districts.  Event though the threshold is technically 50%, it's rather
obviously much fairer than a party list system with a 50% threshold.  As
the number of seats gets larger, this effects seems to be exponential.

However, IMHO, the minimum seats per district should be around five, or
at least the average amount of seats should be five or seven.  The fact
that Irelands average number of seats has dwindled so dramatically over
the years makes it clear that the big parties just can't be trusted when
it comes to proportionality.

The minimum number of seats in BC-STV is two, the maximum seven.
There's really nothing from keeping them from making nearly every
district a two or three seater.  Clearly, as the situation in Ireland
shows, this is much better than single-member districts, but the article
should have been amended to state that the average number of seats per a
district should be around five, which would leave room for two-seaters
in rural districts but keep the big parties from colluding and
implementing a seat number to their favor.