[EM] Burlington 2009 -- analysis + responses to attacks by IRVpropagandists

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Mar 27 16:13:54 PDT 2009

Warren (and all),

The amount of commitment you have to finding fault with IRV (and with me)
is impressive. I think my Blog refutations of your analysis of the
Burlington IRV election are correct. Readers can find them here
http://www.fairvote.org/blog/2009/03/response-to-faulty-analysis-of-burlington-irv-election/
and here
http://www.fairvote.org/blog/2009/03/more-on-warren-smiths-and-anthony-gierzynskis-flawed-analysis/

You have now offered a lengthy rebuttal to my rebuttals of your original
analysis. Unfortunately I simply can't justify spending the amount of time
it would take to repeatedly refute all of your repeated claims. I will
just respond to a few of the opening claims as they are personal attacks
that specifically impugn my integrity and competence. Although your errors
in these sections are typical of errors you make throughout your entire
essay, I have  more important work to do, than to correct all of your
erroneous statements.

1. You have several factual errors regarding the rate of valid ballots in
the Burlington IRV election (which was in fact better than the recent
presidential election in Burlington). Setting aside your rude tone, let me
simply correct you on the following...firstly, there were not eight
invalid ballots. The four ballots in the "exhausted ballot" category were
not four additional problem ballots. They were the exact same four invalid
ballots the machine tally showed and were described as "invalid." That is
an understandable error on your part, as the software and others did not
use consistent terminology (e.g. "over-vote," "exhausted" or "invalid") to
describe these four ballots that the scanner determined had two candidates
marked as first choices.

But there were not in fact even four invalid ballots (first round
exhausted ballots). You were apparently unaware that the recount performed
by the Burlington Board of Civil Authority found that three of these
invalid over-votes (all in Ward One) in the Burlington IRV election, were
in fact valid votes, with stray marks in the write-in oval-- such that
human counters unanimously agreed that voter intent was clear (two were
for Wright and one for Kiss). That left one invalid ballot, which
unfortunately was in a ward that was not recounted (Kurt Wright, who had
called for the recount called it off half-way through saying he was
satisfied the election was counted properly on election night), so the
actual number of invalid ballots may well have been zero, but I did my
calculation with one presumed invalid ballot, which works out to a valid
ballot rate of 99.99% (compared to 99.96% in the non-IRV Presidential
election you reference.)

You also point out that a few voters marked their ballot with only a first
and fifth choice, and I would agree that these handful of voters may have
intended to indicate W>anyone>K. FairVote, and I, recommended to the city
in 2005 to use an algorithm that exhausts a ballot if more than a single
ranking is skipped, but the city council adopted a regulation that ignores
all skips. However, in nearly every case these odd ballots ended up
counting for the voters' first choice in the final runoff tally, so these
skips did not invalidate any votes.

The point I was making was that claims by the defenders of plurality
elections that ranked ballots are "too complicated"  for voters and would
result in vast numbers of spoiled ballots are not supported by the
evidence. I stand by that.

2. You make a big point of questioning my integrity, (Even if you doubt my
research skills, such that you wouldn't use the term "IRV expert" or
"election method analyst" I suspect your choosing to call me a
"propagandist" is calculated).  You state that I did not "disclose" my
political history, or my founding of the company that wrote the software
that counted the votes. You are incorrect on all counts. While it is true
that I do not begin every essay I write by listing my prior political
history, it is certainly no secret. There is a bias among many mainstream
politicians against members of third parties, so I don't stress my third
party history in my work with Democratic and Republican elected officials
around the country (but neither do I deny it). However, people in
Burlington are well aware of my partisan history (indeed, I used to be
president of the city council), my bio on the FairVote web site lists
these offices, and my March 17 Blog refuting your analysis, which you
object to, for example states: "I am used to personal attacks having
served a decade on the city council and another decade as a state
legislator as a member of the Progressive Party. I have also worked as an
election administrator for non-profit organizations when not working as an
analyst for FairVote." Also, I never served with Bob Kiss in the
legislature  (he was elected after I left the legislature).

Also I did not found and have no connections to the company that wrote the
IRV tallying software as you repeatedly assert (as if that were a conflict
of interest). Again, this is an understandable error on your part (I just
wish you weren't so nasty about expressing it). Your mistake stems from
the fact that the software was developed by a company called Voting
Solutions, and I had a completely different consulting business with a
similar name (but no overlap of personnel) called Election Solutions. I
should also note that I have no connection to Premier Election Solutions
(the new name of the former Diebold), so that you don't start spreading
that false rumor across the Internet. Once your kind of erroneous
statements get into cyberspace they seem to live on forever, and it gets
tiring refuting old errors over and over again as new people read and
repeat them.

Again, I have more important work to do, than refute all of your claims,
but I assure readers that nearly all of them are simply false, or
debatable at best. We have different notions about how to make meaningful
progress improving American elections, of the usefulness of Bayesian
Regret as a standard, as well as different interpretations of facts, but I
will attempt to be civil. We could all use a little more of that, I
suspect

Terry Bouricius