[EM] IRV Monotonicity - precision

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 18 19:37:16 PDT 2009

Yes I do, and the no show paradox shows that
by staying home a voter can hope to get some more favourable outcome,
but not any kind of.

Again if by doing so, there is a most favourable outcome, that most
favourable outcome cannot be a first choice.
Staying home can help a second choice beat any least preferred choice, a
third choice beat any least preferred choice and even a before
last choice beat a last choice, but it is impossible that staying home
makes a first choice win when coming to vote for a first choice would not.

It might even be the only kind of monotonic behavior IRV has: if a
voters goes to vote for a first preference instead of staying home,
it cannot harm the election of that first choice candidate. However, if
a voters goes to vote for a first preference instead of voting
for a least preferred candidate, then it could harm the election of that
first choice candidate.

Stéphane Rouillon.