[EM] Many candidates (Re: language/framing quibble)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Mar 6 06:24:17 PST 2009

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> Juho Laatu wrote:
>> One approach is to use a candidate
>> tree...
>
> One could also have a series of runoffs...

Instead of a "parallel of runoffs", which is the tree.

> Fred's method could be used to select a single winner. Would you call it a
> hierarchical proxy? ...

(Likewise a tree.  We both question whether this is in scope.)

>                 ... There is somewhat of a proxy thought in that the
> continuing candidates from each council "represent" the councils below, but
> it's not as thorough or direct as with say, delegable proxy, because the
> structure is fixed ...

Unfixing it would yield a "continuous series of parallel runoffs",
which is the delegable proxy - or "liquid democracy", or "delegate
cascade".  (Assuming this is in scope.)

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521