[EM] Forced strictly-dishonest strategy is common inSchulze-beatpaths voting

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 03:00:14 PDT 2009

Jan Kok  > Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:50 AM
> > Warren wrote:
> > I have news for you.   The concept of "strategic voting" is entirely
> > about caring more about  vanishingly small gains in utility
> > than about  honesty.
>
> It's not vanishingly small if you think about it from a team
> perspective.

If you are not referring to any particular voting system, spectacular support for Jan's view is available from the 1997 UK General
Election (FPTP in SMDs).  Large numbers of supporters of several parties voted "insincerely" to make sure that Conservative MPs were
unseated throughout Scotland and Wales.  Despite having significant voting support in both countries, the Conservatives did not win
a single seat in either Scotland or Wales.  That was the direct result of well organised, and very effective, cross-party "Tory-free
Scotland " and "Tory-free Wales" tactical voting campaigns.

Incidentally, we call this "tactical voting", when the voter votes insincerely in response to the local political situation.  We use
"strategic voting" for situations where they vote insincerely in response to some feature of the voting system itself.

James Gilmour