[EM] Forced strictly-dishonest strategy is common in Schulze-beatpaths voting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Jun 14 00:13:53 PDT 2009

Dan Bishop wrote:
> You can't just assume that people would vote strategically in Schulze
> elections because they vote strategically in Plurality elections.

The question of what strategy will be used and to what extent is a quite
difficult one. On one hand, individually speaking, voting is not "worth
it", so that weakens utilitarian arguments. On the other hand, we do
know that some strategy happens: vote-splitting compensation (best of
two evils) in Plurality, and extreme teaming in Borda.

Generally speaking, I think we can say this: simple strategy will be
used by a lot of people. Defensive strategy will be used more often than
offensive strategy, because even the "honest" people may argue that
"previous offensive strategy has backed them into a corner".

Sophisticated strategy will be used, if by anyone, by teams or groups
(like parties), because these command a block of voters, and thus voting
a certain way can definitely be "worth it". Therefore, one can apply
utilitarian/rational analysis to these teams with greater success than
one would to individuals.

What limits sophisticated strategy by the teams? First, there's social
approval. In a honest society, voters may not want to follow party
instructions, or society in general may see the use of strategy as
"cheating". Because we're talking about sophisticated strategy, there's
no gradual corruption, because a team of significant size would have to
start strategizing. Call the minimal team size that can pull off
strategy, x. If social disapproval makes strategy backfire on any
strategizing group of size greater than y, and y < x, then it forms a
barrier to using strategy.

Second, there's simple logistics. Schulze gives an example in his STV
paper, about how the ideal vote management strategy in a certain case
would have been to have 720 (6!) bailiwicks and assign a particular
order to each ("Free Riding and Vote Management under Proportional
Representation by the Single Transferable Vote", section 4.2). However,
this would clearly be a logistics nightmare.

What does all of that suggest, if I'm right? It is that if we aim to
deter strategy, a method should have as complex strategy as possible;
first, because that keeps "simple strategy" (tactical voting) from being
used, and second, because it makes vote management as hard as possible
to execute, both in terms of minimum effective group size and of
logistics required to coordinate the strategizing effort.

Perhaps some form of DSV would work? Declared strategy voting would make
a computer strategize for the voters "more effectively than the voters
themselves" can. The idea would be that the various sorts of strategy
cancel out and leaves a somewhat fair result, although perhaps of less
quality than if there were no strategy in the first place. (At this
point it may be tempting to let voters decide whether or not strategy is
to be used, so that the method theoretically reduces to the no-DSV
version if everybody is honest - but I don't think it'll be obvious to
voters when to let the computer strategize for them, and when not to.)

The problem with DSV is that the all-strategy version may break various
criteria. Even if the base method is monotone, the "let the computer
strategize" version might not be, for instance, since strategic power
isn't evenly distributed.
Practically speaking, DSV might be too complex for the electorate. If
they can't convince themselves that the computer will strategize better
than they do, they may try anyway; or they may look at the result with
suspicion because it's the output of an opaque black box, to them.