[EM] voting strategy with rank-order-with-equality ballots

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 9 00:09:58 PDT 2009

Warren,

"How true is it that approval-style voting is "strategic" for Schulze?"

Not very true. It depends on the voter's information and  sincere ratings.
Schulze, being a Condorcet method fails Favourite Betrayal.

"Is Schulze with approval-style ballots a better or worse voting system
than plain approval?"

If approval-style ballots are compelled than Schulze is the same as plain
Approval.  If they are merely allowed  (as Marcus Schulze and other
proponents favour) then in my opinion it is better than Approval.

In the zero-information case, the voter with a big enough gap in hir sincere ratings
does best to rank all the candidates above the gap equal top and to strictly
rank all those below it  (random-filling if necessary in the absence of a sincere
full ranking).

I find it preferable that the zero-info. strategy for a ranked-ballot method be either
full sincere ranking regardless of  relative ratings (as in IRV and Margins) or  sincere
ranking above the big ratings gap and truncation below it  (as in Smith//Approval).

By  "Shulze"  I have been meaning  Shulze(Winning Votes), the 'standard version'
favoured by Marcus himself and other proponents.

In January this year I suggested a different version I prefer:

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2009-January/023959.html

Chris Benham