[EM] information content of ballots (and intelligent people)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Jun 8 21:44:29 PDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:14 AM, Jan Kok wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Dave
> Ketchum<davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 7, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Jan Kok wrote:

>>> I was not disagreeing with Paul (at least not with the passage I
>>> quoted). The point of my post was to show that both Paul and Warren
>>> were right about some of the things they were saying, and to shed
>>> some
>>> light on what may have been the core of their misunderstanding.

>>> Warren said "equal amount of information". Paul (sort of) said
>>> "ranked
>>> ballots have more info". So which is it, equal or more? If both are
>>> right, doesn't that seem like a paradox? I went on to explain why it
>>> only _seemed_ like a paradox, i.e. there was no paradox.

>>> Naming error? Not sure what you're talking about.
>>
>> Paul is assigning B&C equal ranks , with A liked less.  Then you
>> have C as
>> least liked.  Makes the studying difficult.
>
> Where did I say C was least liked? I don't see it.

Go up to the paragraph before the one-word "Paradox" paragraph.  You
do not explicitly say that C is least liked, but ending with C being
possibly not voted for implies least liked.

>>> Yes, I agree that a ranked ballot contains info that can't be
>>> found in
>>> the corresponding Approval ballot.
>>>
>>> And I assert equally that an Approval ballot contains info that
>>> can't
>>> be found in the corresponding ranked ballot.
>>
>> How do we get here?

Too much starting from a dream, and then proceeding as if the dream
made sense.

Think of 20 candidates.  Expect many voters to NOT want to rank all
20; expect many voters to feel two or more are liked equally by them
and thus deserve the same rank.

While some can wish for voters to be forced to rank all and no two
with the same rank, those thinking more seriously can wish to minimize
demands on the voters:
      NOT required to rank all, so a voter who thinks Plurality can
vote for a single candidate.
      CAN assign the same rank to two or more, so a voter who thinks
Approval can express the same thoughts.
     NOT required to rank all.

With these possibilities a ranked vote can contain more information
than is possible for an Approval vote.

> I already explained that:
>
> "In fact the Approval ballot contains information that can
> not be determined from the ranked ballot: in the above example, can
> you tell from the ranked ballot whether C would be "approved" by the
> voter? ("Approved" meaning the voter considers C to be better than the
> outcome expected if A and B were the only candidates.)"
>
> So the Approval ballot contains the information that the voter
> "approves" C, i.e. likes C better than the expected outcome between A
> and B. You can't tell that from the ranked ballot B>C>A. Therefore:
> "an Approval ballot contains info that can't be found in the
> corresponding ranked ballot."
>

>> If you simply say "ranked", voters can do equal ranking, which
>> permits
>> ranked voters to vote ballots IDENTICAL to approval by giving all
>> approved
>> IDENTICAL ranks.  All without losing rank's ability to support
>> multiple
>> ranks.
>
> I think we're wandering off into the weeds here. The original
> discussion, or at least the part I read, was only about 2 and 3
> candidate elections, _strict rankings_ vs. Approval voting with vote
> for all and vote for none not considered.
>
> Yes, if you allow equal rankings, then you can vote Approval-style
> with such ranked ballots. But then it needs more bits to represent
> that type of ballot.
>

>> Ranking has no need to ban equal ranking, that supports voters'
>> occasional
>> desires for such.  No great strain to count such - A=B is simply
>> counted by
>> NEITHER counting A>B nor A<B.
>
> Sure.
>

>>> Going back to your initial statement:

>>> I'm not sure what the point is that you are trying to make. Maybe
>>> you
>>> are saying that the type of information you gather from a ballot is
>>> more important than the number of bits needed to represent that
>>> info.
>>> (Which would be a subjective statement.)
>>
>> Suppose there are 16 candidates.
>>     Then a 16-bit string can have a bit for each candidate indicating
>> whether or not approved.
>>     Can have 4 bits for each approved candidate, and a 4-bit field
>> indicating how many approved by this voter.  Certainly takes less
>> space if
>> total number of approval fields is less than 3*number-of-voters.
>
> Again, I think we're drifting away from the original topic.
>

>> But matters not.  What matters is ability to recognize voters' use of
>> ability promised to them - and to count this.
>
> I'd say that's one of _several_ things that "matter" if you are going
> to do voting reform activism in the real world.
>
> Cheers,
> - Jan
>

>> Dave Ketchum

What follows wanders into straining the voting method beyond Approval
or ranking.

Dave Ketchum

>>> I'd say that the exact number of bits needed to represent a ballot
>>> is
>>> not all that important - especially if the discussion is limited
>>> to 2
>>> and 3-candidate elections! In general, more bits _might_ mean that
>>> the
>>> voting method can make a better choice of winner. But more bits also
>>> could mean more complicated ballots, asking voters for more
>>> information than they want to bother with giving, and can make it
>>> harder to summarize the ballot data so that it can be posted outside
>>> polling places for the public to check. If you want less info, go
>>> for
>>> Approval. If you want lots of info, go for fine-grained Score Voting
>>> (e.g. 0-99). If you want something in between, go for coarse-grained
>>> Score Voting (e.g. 0-3).
>>>
>>> Other than number of bits, some things that matter are: whether
>>> voters
>>> or legislators would accept a given ballot style and associated
>>> voting
>>> method (i.e. how hard is it to "sell" the voting method); how much