[EM] Some myths about voting methods

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Jun 6 16:11:35 PDT 2009

This is what started my diatribe against idiots.

Warren Smith wrote:
"--let me refute some errors/myths here.   In a 3-candidate election, there
are
6=3! possible rank-order votes.   However, there are 8=2^3 possible
approval-style votes.  Since 8>6, we see the approval voting ballots
provided more, not less,
info, than the preferential ballot.

Now, Warren is correct that there are more choices for the approval voter
than the ranked-ballot voter, but "Since 8>6, we see the approval voting
ballots provided more, not less, info, than the preferential ballot." is
completely wrong.

The approval ballots provide AT MOST 3 bits of information per ballot. This
is LESS (not more) than what is provided by preferential ballot (which
includes two bits of information for each alternative in the 3-alternative
case.)

Warren calls me an idiot, but I've never said anything as dumb as his claim
that approval ballots provide as much information as ranked ballots or range
ballots.

It cannot be done. Warren's asserion is laughable. But Warren calls ME an
idiot.

OK, I've said this before and I'll say it again. EM is worthless and there's
no benefit to subscribing.