[EM] Some myths about voting methods

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Jun 6 12:22:23 PDT 2009

Hello Warren,

you're right in pointing out that the notion of a mere Nash equilibrium is not particularly fruitful in the analysis of voting systems. This does not mean, however, that game theory is fruitless, too. Game theory provides many valuable concepts, in particular those specializations of Nash equilibria which involve coalitions have been applied quite successfully on this list, often termed "group strategy equilibrium" or the like, although often not explicitly defined thoroughly in every detail.

A recent example of a more thorough game theoretic analysis is Forest's and my paper titled (http://www.fair-chair.de/some_chance_for_consensus.pdf) in which we use the concept of "correlated equilibrium" and "very strong correlated equilibrium" (which is quite similar to Moreno's "coalition-proof correlated equilibrium"). Anyone interested in these concepts may study section 2.2 of that paper for starters. As the paper is still under review, we also would be glad to receive any further comments or suggestions, by the way.

Yours, Jobst