[EM] voting methods

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 04:36:24 PDT 2009

Was the original message sent to the list?

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Árpád Magosányi<magwas at rabic.org> wrote:
> I guess the list might have opininons in this discussion.
>
> 2009/6/4 Warren Smith <warren.wds at gmail.com>
>> In particular, if all voters are tactical then plurality, IRV, and
>> Condorcet systems all
>> are EFFECTIVELY THE SAME (i.e. all elect the same winner) in scenarios
>> where
>> there are 2 major-party candidates plus also some minor party
>> candidates whom the voters believe have little chance to win.

Do you think that people would vote that way under Condorcet?

> And game theory enters here. With some Condorcet dishonest voting gives
> unnoticeable advantage to the voter. With range vote it does much, and
> eventhe  ballot leaves more room for it. Plurality even punishes honest
> voting.

Right.

A good way of looking at it is finding out the Nash equilibrium.

This means  that each voter is allowed to adjust their vote based on
how everyone else votes (say due to opinion polls), but cannot
coordinate with other people.

Assuming that there are 2 major parties (A,B) but one of the minor
candidates (C) is the condorcet winner.

45: A>C>B
10: C>A>B
45: B>C>A