[EM] Redistricting, now with racial demographics

Aaron Armitage eutychus_slept at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 20:20:51 PDT 2009

--- On Sun, 7/19/09, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

> You may be interested to know that the Boundary Commission
> for Scotland experimented with some computer-based
> algorithms for drawing
> district boundaries when fed the geographical locations of
> all our electors.  They abandoned them all because they
> found it was
> taking longer to tidy up the machine-produced boundaries
> than it would to do the whole job "manually" by sensible
> amalgamations of
> postal units (very small) on a good GIS.  The
> minimising algorithms have difficulty recognising and
> accommodating the physical
> features like mountains and uncrossable rivers, which as
> Kathy pointed out, must be taken properly into account in
> looking for
> sensible boundaries.  Incidentally, our Boundary
> Commissions are all independent of the politicians, so we
> don't have the "incumbent
> problem" that is endemic in the USA and completely distorts
> the whole system.

I would think that presetting the desired boundaries would avoid that.

> > And I have this notion that it would be good to have a
> bicameral
> > legislature with one house elected at-large PR and one
> elected from
> > single member locality districts.
>
> I thought you already had a bicameral legislature, together
> with a "separation of powers" for the Executive?

Yes, but both houses are elected with single member plurality. This
is true at the federal level and, as far as I know, in 49 of the states.
The one exception has a single chamber elected using single-member
plurality districts.

 The
> main problem with
> electing one house by PR and the other house from
> single-member districts is that, no matter what voting
> system you use within the
> single-member districts, that house will not be properly
> representative of the voters, in contrast to the "PR"
> house.  I don't know
> how long the electors would tolerate that, especially if
> there were real differences of political representation in
> the two houses
> and both houses were of similar power in the overall
> political system.

At the federal level the Senate is elected with no reference to
population, so that Wyoming and California have the same representation.
This is actually entrenched in the Constitution in such a way that it
would be easiler to abolish the Senate entirely than to introduce any
form of proportionality into it. And this is accepted by almost everybody.
I suspect that as long as both chambers are elected the public will
accept it, and in the event of serious differences of perspective between
the two a substantial part of public opinion will be more in favor of the
conflict itself than either side. We like checks and balances, after all.

> I would just elect both houses by STV-PR but form the
> districts on a different basis, which should be easy if the
> "upper" house had
> fewer members than the "lower" house.

I see no reason for having two houses, in that case.