[EM] Redistricting, now with racial demographics

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Jul 17 09:07:27 PDT 2009

Kathy and Frank,

Deviation from the ideal population per district usually is very small for
congressional districts (generally far less than .5%), but for state House
and Senate districts the deviation is generally around 9% (not 0.9%...but
a whopping 9%) with a several states in the high teens and even 20-30 %
deviation. You can find a handy table on the NCSL web site here:
http://www.ncsl.org/LegislaturesElections/Redistricting/RedistrictingPopulationDeviation2000/tabid/16636/Default.aspx

However, any redistricting formula can only go so far, and cannot assure
fair representation nor competitive elections because of the very nature
of single member winner-take-all elections.

Terry Bouricius