[EM] language/framing quibble

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Feb 28 17:16:02 PST 2009

I see that you are trying, and getting into long missives.  I will try for
helpful thoughts.  I will speak from New York state, where some of the laws
make sense.

Parties can be useful, but the framework needs to facilitate control by the
party members.
      Part of this is for party committees being elected by party members.
  Actually committee members could be nominated by the kind of committee
you seem to fear - but with ability of voters to do their own nominating
this can be corrected when such is needed.

While parties properly nominate candidates, voters should also be able to
do nominations outside the party structure.

Candidate qualities should be visible to all voters with reasonable voter
effort.  To me this is campaigning, and I do not understand your apparent
fear of that word.
       Voters will decide for themselves how much effort they are willing
to invest in elections - what is needed is maximizing the amount they can
learn with reasonable effort.

As to election methods, we need to do better than Plurality.  I suggest
more thought as to score, IRV, and Condorcet - which let voters vote for
more than one candidate.

DWK

                  If you want peace, work for justice.