[EM] Multiwinner Condorcet generalization on 1D politics

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Feb 12 19:02:10 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:31:56 +0100 Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> I think that one problem with devising a multiwinner method is that we
> don't quite know what it should do. PAV type optimization methods try to
> fix this, but my simulations don't give them very favorable scores.
>
> If we are to construct a multiwinner method that degrades gracefully, we
> probably need to have an idea of what, exactly, it should do, beyond
> just satisfying Droop proportionality (for instance). The problem with
> building a method primarily to satisfy a certain criterion is that if
> the criterion is broken slightly, then the criterion does not tell us
> how the method should work; and therefore, we might get "discontinuous"
> methods where the method elects a certain set if a Droop quota supports
> it, but a completely different group if the Droop quota less one
> supports that set.

Let me try a different picture:
      Candidates scattered across a 2-dimension space, unevenly.  There
could be bunches near Party 1 position, near Party 2 position, etc.
      Voters scattered likewise.

Each voter would give top rank to the candidate they see as nearest, etc.,
not bothering to rank those too distant.

Looking for CW in the N*N matrix:  Pick any candidate as A and see if A was
ranked higher than x for all A vs x:
      More A>x than x>A for each x - if so, A is CW.
      Has the x in x>A been an A in this search - if so, have a cycle.
      Try again with this x becoming A.

Note that this does not require looking at every entry in the matrix - move
on as soon as disqualifying an A.

Seems to me 2-dimensional works better for such as three parties pulling in
different directions.
      With a CW, extra winners should have looked good when looked at via
the matrix.

Note that for multiwinner a 3-member cycle would almost certainly  fit for
3 winners.

DWK

> [...]
> = Bn.
>
> The problem of synthesizing the distribution on the political line still
> remains, though. If people vote rationally (that is, that there is no
> noise), one can get some extent of the way by observing
>
>     eee A fff ggg B hhh iii C jjj
>       0|-----------------------------|1
>
> The e faction would vote A > B > C. So would the f faction, while the g
> faction would vote B > A > C and the h faction, B > C > A. The i and j
> faction votes C > B > A. Noise votes are A > C > B and C > A > B.
>
> However, while this gives us some information as to the relative sizes
> of the factions, it does not tell us whether (say) the e faction is
> large because there's a peak of support there, or because the others are
> more extreme, like this:
>
>     eeeeeeee A ff gg B hh ii C jj
>       0|-----------------------------|1
>
> In the case of Condorcet, it doesn't matter, since Black's
> single-peakedness theorem says that in the one-dimensional case with
> voters preferring candidates closer to them, there'll always be a CW and
> that CW is the candidate closest to the median voter.
>
> Can we use this to make "multiwinner Condorcet" where the k-ile property
> holds? To do so, I would have to understand the aforementioned
> single-peakedness theorem to know how it works, which I don't.
>
> If I were to make a guess, I think it's because Condorcet removes the
> other candidates from each pairwise check. Assume A is the median
> candidate. Then on A vs B, A is closer to more voters than B is. If that
> is all that's needed, then we could imagine a Condorcet analog where if
> a voter is closer to A or B than to C or D, it counts as a win for {A,
> B}. If a council {X,Y} is a CW in this way, and X is closer to 0 than is
> Y, is then X closest to the 33% position, and is Y closest to the 67%
> position? I don't know.
>
> In any case, even if I'm right about the above, we have to figure out
> what "{A, B} is closer than {C, D}" means. If a voter ranks A > B > C >
> D or B > A > C > D, it's pretty obvious that {A, B} is closer. But what
> of A > C > B > D or C > A > D > B ? And is it possible to make a system
> that picks the (k+1)-ile closest candidates without having to go through
> all possible combinations of the council in the worst case?
>
> -
>
> This may have been a bit meandering, but I wrote it as I went on. My
> general idea is this: multiwinner election is not as well defined as
> single-winner election, so I tried to find a way of defining it better
> by referring to issue space, and in a way so that it reduces to
> Condorcet in the single-winner case. Then I wrote a bit about the
> limitations of this (that we can't infer the shape of the curve in issue
> space from ranking alone), and that perhaps we don't need the shape of
> that curve - but on that, I'm uncertain, since I don't know Black's theorem.
>
> There's also the problem of noise and multiple dimensions to consider,

                  If you want peace, work for justice.