[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:27:24 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will take a look.  That seems pretty paranoid.
>
> I am not suggesting blind trust.  However, assuming that every
> programmer who could convert the ballot list into a result would just
> let it slide is completely unreasonable.

OK, well if you consider people who require transparent checks and
balances "paranoid' then I will honestly tell you that I consider
people who blindly trust that all computer programmers are 100% honest
and infallible is  stupid and gullible then and possibly hasn't
studied computer science himself.

> If the government tried to faked it, a large number of programmers
> would code up their own counting algorithm just to see if it was true.

"the government"? Who's that?

PLEASE go get an education on how trivially easy it is for ONE (1)
programmer to arrange to fraudulently count votes for an entire county
or state. There are so many reputable web sites of engineers and
computer scientists where you could start that it is far far too
numerous to list.

> I am not entirely sure your point.  In plurality, they would have to
> observe the count too.

Misleading statement at best. In plurality voting methods a randomly
selected partial count will give any desired probability of accurate
election outcomes because plurality is precinct summable. In STV/IRV
only a 100% manual count or an extremely extremely complex audit that
virtually no auditors could understand would do.

PLEASE Educate yourself or go read or reread my paper on the "19 Flaws
of Instant Runoff Voting..." etc.

> In any case, I like Abd Lomax's ballot imaging proposal for
> verification.  Images of all the ballots would be published on the
> internet and people could then process them as desired.

Duh. And then have you forgotten what we already discussed just this
a.m. already?  There is no method that a normal voter could use to
easily count those.

Prove me wrong if you think you can by creating a SS that can automate
counting for STV for an example...

We seem to be repeating the conversation in a very pointless way.
PLEASE do some research or try to prove me wrong.

Cheers,

Kathy