[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:44:45 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> STV tries to simulate that in a regular way that is hopefully  deterministic
> (as in most versions),
> and guarantees all voters Later-no-Harm and of  course doesn't have the same
> possibilities of
> bluff and gamesmanship possible  in the live version.

I wonder if that 'live' system would end up tending towards condorcet winners.

If one candidate had 55 votes and another had 45.  Would the
supporters of the 2nd candidate switch to the condorcet winner, in
order to try to draw away support from the 55 vote candidate.

OTOH, if a condorcet winner did end up with only 5% of the first
choice votes, they may not even realise that he has a chance.