[EM] Lotteries and random numbers

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Feb 16 20:31:11 PST 2009

We need provision for breaking ties.  I offer a thought that avoids tossing
coins:
      If counts are even, give candidate with lower name an extra vote.
      If counts are odd, give candidate with higher name an extra vote.

Big deal is I am an enemy of lotteries in voting:
      Hard to come up with a formula for conducting the lottery.
      Hard to prove the formula has been obeyed - cheating in the counting
is obviously tempting.

Some methods of voting can inspire extra temptation for strategizing - and
temptation to try to counteract suspected strategizing.  Avoiding such
voting methods may be the most practical way to avoid the problem.

Some supposed strategizing assumes shared knowledge and plotting that does
not deserve attempts to counteract because the supposed sharing of
knowledge and planning is not practical in real elections.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.