[EM] First Condorcet cycle ever spotted in a national presidential election (!?! apparently)

seppley at alumni.caltech.edu seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:15:42 PST 2009

An analysis of the 1992 U.S. presidential election between Clinton, Bush &
Perot suggested the voters' preferences were a majority cycle: Bush over
Clinton, Perot over Bush, and Clinton over Perot.  If true, the recent
Romanian election was not the first majority cycle in a national
presidential election.

The analysis was by a professor of political science at UC San Diego. I
don't recall his name... maybe Gary Jacobson?  His poll numbers indicated
the smallest of the three majorities was Bush over Clinton. That means
Clinton would presumably have won given a voting method like MAM (which
gives precedence to larger majorities when constructing the order of
finish). (Some pundits claimed Perot was a spoiler and that Bush should
have won. They either didn't understand that in a majority cycle *each*
candidate is in a sense a spoiler, or understood but chose to mislead the
public in order to undermine Clinton's presidency.)

Regards,
Steve Eppley