[EM] Combined elections

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 18:20:10 PST 2009

I got a comment that the component election descriptions were too
vague. Here's a more detailed description of what would have happened
if there had been two separate elections.

If there were two separate elections then they would be
- Election 1: A vs. B
- Election 2: C vs. D

The votes (using rankings only, ignoring the ratings) would be

Election 1:
27: A>B
26: B>A
25: A>B
22: B>A

and

Election 2:
27: D>C
26: C>D
25: C>D
22: D>C

- A would win B (52 - 48) (supported by the first and third group of
voters)
- C would win D (51 - 49) (supported by the second and third group of
voters)

But if we combine these two elections and use ratings then we would
get those combined votes (with ratings) that are listed below. I thus
just derived the votes of the component elections (what they would
have been) from the combined ratings.

Juho