[EM] Range Voting "unbeatable"?

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:55:20 PDT 2009

> "utterly false" is a bit strong language

--No: "absolutely" "unbeatable" is what is "strong language."
And it is false.   And what really pisses me off, is you accusing me of
being false, when it was you all along being false, and indeed I had
publicized the exact opposite of what you falsely said and falsely
attributed to me.    The correct response is
to apologize (jerk), not to come back accusing me of "strong
language"! Holy cow!

> I completely reject your model of strategic voters. It is simply not true that, if you surveyed all voters their honest opinions of who the two "frontrunners" are, all of them would agree in 100% of elections.

--Ok, the truth is not 100%, it is "over 98%."
Indeed, it is possible (proven by test) to predict all important US
races with >98%
accuracy over 1 year ahead of time.  Proof:  see remarks on Ron Facheux here:
http://www.rangevoting.org/NonVoters.html
Also: note the percent of third-party winners in the USA in such races
is below 1%.

OK.  Now, is this difference between 100 and 99% really a good basis
for your "complete rejection"?  Golly.  Gee willickers.  Total
unrealism!  You ARE finicky.

>I propose (and you have not responded) a different model of strategy.
1) Choose an underlying voter utility model which behaves roughly like
reality. This is an area for research, and my own incomplete ideas
don't fit here...

--actually, I already did this, and did it before you came along and
said this.
(See a common theme?  'Cause I'm noticing one.)
IEVS already includes "reality-based utilities" based on a dataset of
real world elections.
It turns out, when you run the experiment, that using reality-based
utilities leads to little-to-no discernible difference in results,
versus using fantasy-based utilities like
I had before.

>I can make Range behave like "random candidate" by assuming that candidate X's voters strategically bullet-vote and all other voters vote honestly. (For infinite numbers of voters in RNEM, you just assign a random epsilon(k) fraction of bullet voters to each kandidate, and then whichever one has the highest epsilon(k) wins.) Both assumptions are unrealistic worst-cases but arguably a significant drain factor on the systems' overall quality.

--this seems unlikely to be a realistic model. But if you think it is
realistic, then fine.
Put it in IEVS, and compare range to other voting systems under that model.
In particular, under the very model you just proposed, you will find
that Condorcet
systems also elect the highest-k guy.   Congratulations. You just
proposed a new model and found range and Condorcet and random
candidate all behaved the same under that model.   Which is fine, but
seems little basis for "[range] is not as great as you depict it."
I mean (since you seem to be a Condorcet supporter?) wouldn't it be a basis
for saying Condorcet is not as great as YOU depict it?

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking