[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 62, Issue 10

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 30 15:37:33 PDT 2009

> Behalf Of Stephen H. Sosnick   > Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:06 AM
> When summarizing PR-STV, Raph Frank--like everyone else--says, "Each
> voter gets 1 vote ...."  In fact, however, getting 1 vote is a
> special case.  And, unfortunately,  mentioning only that special case
> gives opponents of transferable-vote systems a politically-effective
> counter-argument.

This statement is wrong, as is much of the rest of the post.

In STV-PR each voter has one vote and one vote only throughout the entire process.
That one vote is transferable, in accordance with the contingency preferences marked by that voter on the ballot.
The one vote must be transferable to obtain proportional representation, the objective of STV-PR.

I suspect the incorrect statements arise from a confusion between the voter's one vote and the voter's contingency preferences,
which can be as few or as many as that individual voter wishes, up to the number of candidates.

If the votes are counted according to the rules used for elections to the Dáil Éireann or to the city council of Cambridge MA, each
ballot will carry one whole vote throughout the entire process and the transfer of one ballot at any stage of the count will
transfer one whole vote in accordance with the instructions on that ballot.

However, those 'whole vote' procedures unavoidably introduce an element of chance into the determination of the winners.  That is
considered unacceptable by many, and so the concept of a ballot having a fractional transfer value was introduced (in 1898).

When an elected candidate has a surplus of votes (more votes than the threshold = quota), that surplus must to transferred if
proportional representation is to be obtained.  The only way to avoid any element of chance in making that transfer is to transfer
ALL of the candidate's ballots, but those ballots must transfer ONLY the surplus of votes.  So obviously, each ballot must be
transferred at a reduced value.

It is at this point that the transfer of ballots (the physical process) must be seen as separate from the transfer of votes (the
calculation process).

There are several different ways of calculating the transfer value of the ballots to be transferred, but these methods all have the
same objective: to leave the elected candidate with one full quota of votes and to transfer the surplus of votes in accordance with
the instructions on the transferred ballots.

Although each vote has now been fractionated, each voter still has only one vote.
Each voter contributes only one vote towards the determination of the result.
That will remain the case throughout the entire count, no matter how many more times any vote may be further fractionated.

It is extremely important to refer to STV as the SINGLE Transferable Vote, because each voter must have only one vote to ensure PR.
This distinguishes STV from all multiple vote systems, like Multi-Member-FPTP or the Cumulative Vote.  It is also important to
emphasise the Single TRANSFERABLE Vote, because PR cannot be obtained (except by chance) if that single vote is not transferable (as
in the Single Non-Transferable Vote).

James Gilmour