[EM] Kristofer Munsterhjelm suggests multiwinner voting method

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:27:11 PDT 2009

Kristofer Munsterhjelm:
A possible reweighting-free method could work like this:

1. Construct a social ordering based on Range ballots. Call this
ordering (fixed from here on), X.
2. Count the input ballots, Plurality style
3. If a candidate is supported by more than a Droop quota:
3.1. Elect this candidate.
3.2. Eliminate the candidate from all ballots and from X.
3.3. Go to 2 unless we have the entire council.
4. If no candidate is supported by more than a Droop quota:
4.1. Eliminate the candidate which X ranks last, from all ballots and
from X.
4.2. Go to 2.

--WDS:
Seems to me, this method fails to be proportional.
Let 51% of the voters and half the candidates be Democrat and 49% of
the voters and other half of the candidates Republican.
X then orders D1>D2>D3>...>Dn>R1>R2>...>Rn.
Every eliminated candidate is republican.  Assuming the council size is <=n,
we end up with 100% Democrat council, misrepresenting the 51-49
population.

It's an interesting question whether there can be a proportional
multiwinner voting method
without needing to use "reweighting"... but this is not it.  "Asset
voting" works
   http://rangevoting.org/Asset.html
but it is "unconventional."

--