[EM] multiwinner election space plots

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Aug 13 03:46:32 PDT 2009

http://bolson.org/voting/sim_one_seat/20090810/

I think a few of these plots show Single Transferrable Vote behaving
badly in the same ways IRV does, with discontinuities and irregular
solution spaces.

I also ran Condorcet and IRNR using combinatoric expansion.
Combinatoric variants of single winner election methods adapt to
multiwinner situations by enumerating all possible winning sets of the
available choices and using a simulated voter's preferences on the
choices in each set to determine a preference for each winner-set.
Voting on the n-choose-k preferences for winner-sets then procedes as
for a single-winner election.

I think based on this I'm going to have to think more about making
native multiwinner methods. Combinatoric expansion gets pretty
expensive for large numbers of choices or seats to elect. I had been
kinda resigned to STV being the state of the art in multiwinner
methods, but we seriously ought to be able to do better.