[EM] British Colombia considering change to STV

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Apr 30 17:45:26 PDT 2009

At 03:48 PM 4/30/2009, Terry Bouricius wrote:
>By the way, Abd has an error or typo
>where he miss-states the Droop quota as 1/(N-1), but I assume nearly
>everybody on this list who read his message already noticed that.

Of course Terry is correct, 1/(N+1). Look, he knows I'm quite less
than thrilled to see IRV being given too much of a pass in the U.S. A
few experiments, fine, but they aren't being looked at as
experiments! At least not enough!

With STV, for multiwinner, especially three or more seats being
elected per district, the more the better, it's a vast improvement.
(I've come to the conclusion that IRV actually isn't an improvement
in many places, it's a step backward from runoff voting, and
especially when write-ins are allowed in the runoff election, as with
the California default.

And if the runoff were, say, Approval or Bucklin, runoff voting would
be fabulous. Use Bucklin ballot with runoff voting, i.e., majority
required, at least in the primary, quite a good system and much
better than IRV. If everyone bullet votes, reduces to plurality....
then, in the runoff, with only two candidates on the ballot, voters
will know that, if they support a candidate who didn't make it on the
runoff ballot, they are playing a dangerous game if they don't add a
second choice vote! (Actually, IRV wouldn't be bad for the runoff,
either, I think offhand).

My comment about process wasn't about the BC process, but about what
has happened in the U.S. It looks like it may be changing.

I would support STV for multiwinner election, probably even if it's
just two seats. Asset is a tweak to it that could be added later.