[EM] British Colombia considering change to STV

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Thu Apr 30 07:12:32 PDT 2009

> ... where the winners may be opposed by a
> majority of voters.

Kathy, which would you rather have -- a legislature in which each segment of the population is represented in proportion to its size, or a legislature which represents only the winning segment? If you prefer the latter, then of course you will oppose STV (along with all other methods of proportional representation). If you prefer the former, then you have some homework to do. Allocating seats in proportion to votes means, by definition, that some winners will be opposed by a majority of voters.

--Bob Richard