[EM] Semiproportional Bucklin method

Dan Bishop danbishop04 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:31:51 PDT 2009

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> I think this can be used to make a proof that a summable multiwinner
> method can't let you actually discover all the Droop sets. The idea
> would be something like this: say that the method does, and it's
> summable. Then you can, by a combination of padding with irrelevant
> votes (for candidates that appear nowhere else), and altering the
> number of seats, determine the solid coalition set for any number of
> voters. If you can use the method to determine all the Droop sets,
> then this in effect lets you reconstruct the DAC/DSC information. But
> that information takes superpolynomial space, so by pigeonhole, you
> can't get it from a method that only relies on a polynomial amount of
> data.
I've long conjectured there is no multi-winner ranked-ballot method that
is both proportional and summable.

However, you haven't ruled out the possibility that there could exist a
Droop-proportional method that doesn't require explicitly finding all
the Droop sets.  Such methods DO exist in the single-winner case, where
Droop proportionality = Mutual Majority, which can be met by a
quadratically summable method.