[EM] Practical Democracy (and primary rule making) with Votorola

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Apr 24 05:36:56 PDT 2009

Good Morning, Michael

Until I read your message, it hadn't occurred to me how easily Votorola
could be used ... right now ... to put pressure on elected officials to
accomplish a specific objective.  It would be particularly effective
when a community initiative is stalled by political posturing.

I wish I'd picked up on that possibility earlier in our exchange because
it needs greater discussion.  I'm a slow thinker to begin with, and I
focus most of my attention on seeking out the weaknesses in the
Practical Democracy concept, so I missed it.

Your note helped me realize implementations of Votorola can give the
public an effective tool to address specific issues.  This is not your
benign 'Letters to the Editor' anymore, it is a means of focusing the
attention of the people and bringing the weight of the community to
bear.  A few successful events like that, given a reasonable amount of
publicity, will be the crack in the dam.

Fred Gohlke